.

.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Garden and Rhubarb Madness!

This past weekend I had Terry put some fence around our little garden box since our puppy Cooper has been having the best time jumping in the garden box and tearing out all of my veggie starts! The previous owners left us some fence and a few pieces of lattice. So the handy hubby crafted up this fence to keep the Cooper out! Its not the best most glorious fence ever BUT it is doing its job and keeping Cooper out and best of all it was FREE!  Please ignore the deteriorating green fence behind these photos! It will be replaced sometime this summer or whenever it falls down.



We were also looking at our rhubarb plat and it was ripe and ready to start the harvesting on that bad boy! It seems like I have always picked rhubarb later on in the summer and was shocked it was ready to go in April and after doing some research online I guess the normal season starts in April and goes well into the summer. Here is our rhubarb before we picked it:


and here is the after! We are hoping that it will continue to grow and produce more. It has a lot of little starts in the middle of it just ready to grow. We are also hoping that the little rhubarb on the left will start to get some more growth!





I have never had a rhubarb plant produce so much! These are big thick stocks too! After I cut the leaves and ends off, I weighed it and it was almost 5 pounds of rhubarb! We then sliced it in our food processor and I now have 30 CUPS of rhubarb in the freezer. So if anyone wants some please let me know! I have a feeling that we are going to start running out of room in our freezers!

We also have this old clothesline cemented in our greenbelt fence line. Terry has wanted to cut it that sucker off at the base since we got the house but I love it and might want to someday hang clothes from it to dry in the summer or something....so he decided that he wanted to "camo paint" it and help blend it into the greenbelt more. So I let him have his fun with spray paint cans and a couple of leaves. Here is the end result... It looks pretty cool. Even though I kind of want the camo design to go down to the base...it would probably get all over the chain link fence too and then we would have to camo paint our chain link fence ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...