.

.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

I'm Corky and you know it!


Our new wine cork wall art!



I am so excited about this quick two day project we just did! I have been seeing all sorts of fun things to make out of your old wine corks all over my favorite site Pinterest and since we are great lovers of the Vino and have been good about saving our corks over the last couple of years, I decided we MUST make one of these! So after counting up all of our saved corks...we only had about 150! We needed a lot more so I went out to our wine loving family and asked for donations of corks :) After a few months of hunting and gathering we compiled almost 1,000 corks and it was time to start in on the project!

At first our plan was to do a heart out of wine corks but we really needed a larger piece above our TV and it needed to be longer and panoramic. So my clever husband came up with the idea of doing a wine bottle on laying its side! So Sunday night we started in on making the frame. The previous homeowner left us a nice piece of thin particle board that ended up working wonderfully for the back of the frame. We then started in on building the frame and went to Home Depot and bought an 8ft piece of primed MDF moulding for around $5! We went back to the house and Terry quickly built a frame out of it. The next day we applied a few coats of black spray paint. I wanted the corks to pop on the frame and thought the black would look very nice as well as match everything else in our house. I didn't get any shots of us building the actual frame- sorry...but below is finished frame spray painted. I believe the size of the frame was about 4ft by 2ft.


Here is our massive collection of corks! It doesn't look like a lot but their are around a thousand corks in there!

Then the hot gluing fun began! I also decided while doing this project, that I LOVE hot gluing! Getting the corks just right and lining them up took a little bit of shuffling around in the beginning but after I got them just right I started gluing away!


For the outline I decided that I wanted them all to lay flat. That way you can see all the different wineries and adds a bit more depth to the piece.


Filling in the wine bottle:


and here is the finished project!


We quickly hung it up in our living room and sat back and enjoyed a nice glass of wine while admiring our new piece of art! That cost us less around $5 (not counting all the bottles of wine we have consumed over the last few years ;) ) We are just in love with this piece and how it finishes off our family room! The red in the wine bottle brings the whole room together!


This was by far one of my favorite projects we have done in our house so far! It was quick, fun project and a lot easier than I thought it would be. A huge thank you to all of you who donated corks! (Leslie, Debbie, Amy, Burt & Nancy). I loved doing this so much that I have thought about making these on the side and selling or giving them away as gifts...I guess we will need to start drinking a bit more wine! ;)

4 comments:

  1. I'm still saving corks for you! Love the finished product... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved seeing it in person, awesome idea! I have a small cork collection myself... may have to come up with something smaller to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for coming over last weekend! It was a lot of fun. You will definitely have to make one of these. It really is a fun project.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...